Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index
 Elk Creek Disc Golf
Appomattox, VA

Profile  Register  FAQ  Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index  Search  ;
 Memberlist  Usergroups  Log in            Calendar

NEWS:
Carolina Courses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index -> Course Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Carolina Courses Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone is interested or not, but I figure I'll go ahead and post up some of my reviews of courses down here in NC, since I'm here. And let me say, disc golf is a new kind of beast down here. In Raleigh last week, at a weekly doubles round, the ace pool reached $780. That's a lot of coin. As the ace pool had risen over the recent weeks, they had to start capping the field at 108. Among the weekly field is local, Brian Schweberger. For weekly random doubles. ECDGCers, there's your vision for the future; go for it.

First off, there's the UNC course. Beeyootiful course with a healthy mix for the finesse players and the big arms. Built on the old Chapel Hill country club, holes 1 and 2 play in the woods not unlike ECDGC with similar altitude change, gulleys and whatnot. Hole 2 is my favorite hole. For RHBH, it's a sidearm anny that sits at 321 feet down in a valley. But, the basket sits atop a rock formation on the right, about 25 or 30 feet higher than the valley itself. Beautiful, challenging, awesome. 3 is a shortburner out of the woods over a very very dry pond. 4 is LONG. Big drive out of the woods out into a big fairway. A 350 foot S-curve drive will leave you in the middle of the fairway, over 300 feet short of the pin, which sits at the end of a long open fairway. Hole 5 is my second favorite. From the long pad (we always play the long pads) it's a long S-curve over a mess of herbal crap about 300 feet out to the green; pin at 444. 6 is simple; flat, 300ish foot drive, alternate pins make it either anny or hyzer. 7 is, right now, a short anny in the woods with the pin guarded by trees, kinda like EC #11. 8 is a 250 foot hyzer from the open into the wooded abyss, which always seems to be really dark, even at high noon. 9 is a 150 sharp hyzer in the woods. I think it left Peaks View to come to NC. 10 and 11 are mirrors of each other, one hyzer, one anny, both in the woods. 12 is a thumber, anny, or flick away from an ace every time, with messy, messy rough you don't wanna be in on the left. 13 sucks. 14 tees from the hilltop, over a valley, to the pin halfway up the hill on the other side. Wide open, with frontside guarded by trees. If your name is Kevin or Daniel, you will love it; 421 feet. 15 is a sweet downhill 325 foot drive that ends on a former ball golf green. Dropoff behind the green is kinda like going into a pond, b/c you'll pay your penalty stroke just to get back up. 16 and 17 are again, shortish woods holes reminiscent of EC#4, with a big gully in play. 18 is a gentle uphill S curve, about 250 feet.

For comparison sake, my personal best in 4 rounds so far is a 62. I haven't gotten in my groove yet either. I could go out tomorrow and shoot a 56 or 57, I just haven't been able to hit on all cylinders yet. In any case, it plays about 7ish strokes easier than ECDGC, with no holes that would match 12 or 13 in difficulty.
NoMoreTinCup
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking awfully ugly about 12 and 13 for someone who is playing them in a couple of days. Don't you know that the Elk Creek trees lurk on this site? Ha. Sounds like fun John. See you Saturday. KP
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said acknowledging difficulty is talking ugly? i very much appreciate 12 and 13. all the sweeter when you dominate them.
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and know how i said i could shoot 56 or 57 tomorrow, which then would have been today? well, i shot 59 this evening at the weekly. and i was 2 bonehead putts away from making good on it too. getting back into peak form. the dudes i'm playing with are a good 6 or 7 strokes better than me on a given night, so that's helping.
eclipseram
THE SIDEKICK

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfarm07 wrote:
who said acknowledging difficulty is talking ugly? i very much appreciate 12 and 13. all the sweeter when you dominate them.

Speaking of dominating these two holes. Monday night I took my second shot on 12 from a little further back then the red tee over in the "good" fairway. Judging by the line I threw and where the disc was laying behind the basket I had to have buzzed the basket as I came in for a landing. Then I step up to 13 and throw the tight line around the corner (not what I meant to do) get up to my drive and I'm within a hundred feet. I guess about 90, took the jump putt and threw it dead straight the whole way approximately 88 feet. Made runs on both holes for deuce, got threes on both, I'll take it!

Last edited by eclipseram on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
patrick71
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deadly jumb putt
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before our round yesterday, the guy running it suggested they spot me 10 strokes (i.e. start me -10) due to my recent quality of play (or lack thereof). i proceeded to birdie the first hole (hole 8) and near birdied the next with a 50 foot flick with my pig. hit the chains dead center, but too hard and it shot out. it was my best round yet. after the round, the same guy said, "i'm like the oracle; i just told you what you needed to hear."
jdmerat
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good shootin! Is this on your new home course? It sounds like you should be all warmed up for Saturday. I am looking forward to it.
Andy Greenough
occasional poster

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Courses Around Greensboro? Reply with quote

I am going to Greensboro for an overnight trip next weekend. I should have time and would like to play one course while I am there. I have never played the Greensboro area. Does anyone have suggestions on the best course to spend my limited time on this trip?
yankeditright
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Greensboro course, unfortunately, unless they've made major improvements since me and JFarm were there last summer. Poorly drawn map, no tee signs, no numbered baskets, construction closures of a couple of holes... The holes themselves aren't that bad, but the course as a whole is poor. John can probably help you out with some that are closer and better. Though he may be honeymooning?
patrick71
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought barber park was a good one, i know they have tournaments there.
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barber park will be nice when they get done with construction. cedarock park in burlington would be worth the mileage.
Andy Greenough
occasional poster

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! What about Lake's Edge in Reidsville?
SHTEEV
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lake reidsville is awesome! me dan and jason played in the 1st annual tourny there last november and had a blast! little long in some spots and VERY trying at time. especially hole #12 to the long basket. couple of shots over the water but not too bad. great course. great park. i would certainly recommend lake reidsville disc golf course to you. you do have to pay a couple dollars to park though but that is the only downfall and it a nice enough course that the 2-3$ to park isnt really that bad.
Andy Greenough
occasional poster

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Steve - Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index -> Course Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: