DFG Canadian Airguns Forum IndexDFG Canadian Airguns
Airgun discussions including customizing your guns and sport shooting

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Webley Mark I History - condensed version
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DFG Canadian Airguns Forum Index -> Airgun Reference Material
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suprmatic

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Webley Mark I History - condensed version Reply with quote

The Webley Mark I underwent many changes since it's introduction, back in 1923. There were six variants within the straight gripped pre-war models, and only two variants within the slant gripped models - one pre-war, and one post-war.

There were various subtle differences in these variants (markings, etc.), but the most obvious items of note are as follows:

1st pre-war Mk I - used a single spring clip to hold the barrel at battery.

2nd pre-war Mk I - used dual spring clips to retain the barrel at battery.

3rd pre-war Mk I - Sliding barrel latch, and trigger adjust screw introduced.

4th pre-war Mk I - redesigned barrel hinge screw - a two piece design utilizing a keeper screw on the LHS to retain the pivot screw.
This pic shows an exceptionally clean specimen of 4th series, straight grip, Mark I from my collection.

5th pre-war Mk I - locking screw has been added to trigger adjust screw.
This pic shows an exceptionally clean specimen of a boxed, 5th series, straight grip, Mark I from my collection.

6th pre-war Mk I - access to the mainspring and piston is now from the front of the gun.

New pre-war Mark I - the entire gun has been redesigned, with a slanted, more ergonomic grip angle.
This pic shows a very nice specimen of a new pre-war, Mark I from my collection. This is the same variant that DrFG now has.

Post-war Mark I - essentially the same as the new pre-war model, but the Webley logo has been added to the upper portion of the grip panels, and a striated (knurled) gripping area has been added to the barrel.
This pic shows an exceptionally clean specimen of a boxed, post -war, Mark I from my collection.

Hope you enjoyed the short history lesson.
DoctorFrankengun
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info indeed Cool Cool Cool Thanks. It is nice to know where old guns fit into history. Very Happy
ExoticWoody
Forum Technician

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the history lesson.... Cool

Does the Webley Tempest fit into this group of pistols?... Embarassed
To the untrained eye they seem to exhibit similar design characteristics ....
POWDERKEG

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Too Cool For School" - History was never THIS Much FUN!! Excellent boxed specimens, good photos, thanks for sharing..i like a good reliable workhorse, just don't tell the Mrs. a_chuckle
Suprmatic

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExoticWoody wrote:
Thanks for the history lesson.... Cool

Does the Webley Tempest fit into this group of pistols?... Embarassed
To the untrained eye they seem to exhibit similar design characteristics ....

All of the Webley spring piston air pistols are based upon the original Fearn & Johnstone patent - so the design is not just similar, it's identical. The Fearn & Johnstone patent describes a barrel over compression chamber arrangement, with the piston acting in a rearward direction. The Tempest was just the final iteration of a long line of air pistols sharing this patent design.

The actions of Webley's first rifle models - the Mark I rifle, and the Mark II Service rifle were also based on the same patent.
Suprmatic

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POWDERKEG wrote:
" Too Cool For School" - History was never THIS Much FUN!! Excellent boxed specimens, good photos, thanks for sharing..i like a good reliable workhorse, just don't tell the Mrs. a_chuckle

Interestingly enough, back in school I used to loath history. Who would have ever thought that somewhere down the road I would become an "amateur (airgun) historian" - Laughing .
I find researching the old airguns to be almost as much fun as shooting them. Smile
POWDERKEG

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like history much myself back in the ""SKOOL DAZE"" especially with ol' BULL_DOG heading the class.....had to inhale noisily every three words she did. Stout OLD Gal she was....
This made it more boring than having to memorize all those FRIKKEN DATES for Exams... Twisted Evil
What they DO to us KIDS>>>
NOW...what with my POP trying to reWrite the History Of Newfoundland in HIS old age, he has instilled an appreciation of history that lingers...making it FUN in a way...he may be a man of the cloth but the first time i ever saw a man wring a wounded duck's neck that was wounded and grounded by shotgun BBs was when i was @5-7 yrs old, and he always dragged us thru EVERY site & museum we passed in our travels, so it becomes something that is "Instilled" and perhaps enjoyed MORE as a person ages....i hope?
That said i only want to add one thing here...as per notec responding to EWs post ahead of you, it was EW's question to YOU re: post after all' and the subsequent responses by each..i did NOT want to post further myself with those circumstances and notice the situation has been somewhat resolved.
This thread was getting to be fun, let's keep it that way for all of us!

CARRY-ON.Exclamation
Keyrigger
FT Moderator

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supr:

Trying to go through some old books that have drawings and parts lists, the single spring and dual spring that is being refered to in the spring clip to hold the barrel, is that the number of small springs in the latch? I can't find an old enough drawing to point out the different catch.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?
POWDERKEG

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, .. having never held a nice old webley in hand i am still intrigued having seen the pics as to how it is loaded. Is the barrel pivoting up/foreward to load at back of barrel or what...please don't forget i'm a ""RE_NEWBIE"" and live by the fact no question is stupid..... imslow
Scruffie
I ARE

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of one of my Seniors broke

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DFG Canadian Airguns Forum Index -> Airgun Reference Material All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: