Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index
 Elk Creek Disc Golf
Appomattox, VA

Profile  Register  FAQ  Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index  Search  ;
 Memberlist  Usergroups  Log in            Calendar

NEWS:
questions about pdga rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index -> Traders Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick71
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: questions about pdga rules Reply with quote

i was thinking about this and wanted to make sure i understand it so i don't let it happen this year. during the sontag open last year, one of the guys from nc went OB in the creek on 12 to the right of the basket. isn't he supposed to play across the creek in line of the basket? he put his mark towards the basket and putted from there.
NoHair
THE CREATER

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If across the creek was ob then he played correctly. If across the creek was not ob then it would depend on where the disc crossed into the ob (the creek). If it crossed on the basket side then it was a correct spot and if it crossed on the far side away from the basket then it was an incorrect spot.
acharron
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it should be wherever it went OB. If it was casual water then he would mark the lie in a direct line behind the disc. Jason's right, he should have marked it where the disc went OB, not towards the basket. Unless he some how came directly from the basket OB? Confused
jfarm07
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkin nc golfers...
patrick71
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was in the middle of the creek. only the creek was OB. i would think he play across the creek, behind where it went in.
acharron
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if just the creek is OB then where it went out is where he would play it, not closer to the pin unless as previously stated he somehow shot from the pin?

the same kind of idea if you have a creek running perpendicular to the fairway and you don't make it across, you go back to where you originally went out, not across the creek toward the pin. if I remember correctly though, 12 the creek is running parallel with the fairway so it wouldn't make a huge difference, but it's still the same idea.
3PUTT
you just cant stop, can you

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

803.09 Out-of-Bounds

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole;
or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).

Arnie
eclipseram
THE SIDEKICK

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3PUTT wrote:
803.09 Out-of-Bounds

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole;
or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).

Arnie

What Arnie posted is the specific rule and what he made bold shows that you can move it towards the basket. What I've made red is the part that is most important in this situation and I'm still not clear from Patrick's post as to which way the disc flew/rolled/dropped into the water.

Andrew the creek on 12 actually snakes along the right side of the fairway and halfway circles the green at the basket. It would be very easy to cross into the creek from the basket side on an approach or a putt.
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was played correctly according to the account given, so long as the group was sure it went into the OB from the basket-side of the creek. Approach shots can go over the land around the basket then end up in the creek OB. I have seen tee shots from the shorter red tees go right over the basket and into the OB long of the basket.

The creek is OB, across is not OB (really doens't matter in this scenario, though), and the disc went into the OB from the basket-side of the creek, so the play would be mark it no father than 1 meter in bounds from the point it went OB and take a penalty stroke.
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, after the rain last week the creek on hole 12 is really flowing. I doubt it will be frozen over this weekend as the pond never freezes due to it's close proximity to the local landfill a_alien
3PUTT
you just cant stop, can you

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21730 wrote:
the pond never freezes due to it's close proximity to the local landfill a_alien

That's good to know...No swimming for discs for me. Do people eat the fish they catch there?

Arnie
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I believe they do. When we had the last cold snap, I would drive by 2 frozen ponds on the way to the park and just laugh when I would not see a hint of ice on the pond at the park.
yankeditright
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your group that round, wasn't I? I remember this situation, but I don't remember exactly if he hyzered into the creek toward the basket or annied into it away from the basket. There was quite a discussion about it at the time because a lie across the creek would have obstructed his view of the basket and probably given him a bogey, whereas he parred out as played.
eclipseram
THE SIDEKICK

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Patrick, do you remember which way the disc went into the creek? If so, please post up. Reading your first post it said it went in the creek to the right of the basket. This makes me think of it's position along the creek not that it "crossed by" the right of the basket and into the creek. Your second post was a little vague and said "behind where it went in" which makes me think possibly it went in on the opposite side of the creek.

Sorry Jeff, I just don't see where he said it went into the creek from the basket side.
im an addict

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, his account was a little vague, but I did have a disclaimer in my post. Cool

Quote:
so long as the group was sure it went into the OB from the basket-side of the creek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elk Creek Disc Golf Forum Index -> Traders Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: