DFG Canadian Airguns Forum IndexDFG Canadian Airguns
Airgun discussions including customizing your guns and sport shooting

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
The Crosman 2289
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DFG Canadian Airguns Forum Index -> Photo Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoctorFrankengun
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: The Crosman 2289 Reply with quote

This thread will be for photos of 2289's only. Please post photos of your 2289 along with any info about the mods that you have done.
DoctorFrankengun
Site Admin

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrel assembly,,,

Custom aluminium breech,,,

Custom aluminium Brake,,,

Features>>> Remington sights, poly tube port, extended bolt probe, brass pump piston.
Ardneh

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifle version has 24" barrel, crosman long steel breech, Extended main tube (modified from 2100 tube) and tasco 6-24x42 scope.

Pistol version has 11.5" barrel, Crooked Barn aluminum breech and williams notch site.
rsterne
Master Gun Builder

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Extended Bolt Probe & Trigger Mod Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the Extended Bolt Probe I made and the Mods I did to my Trigger....

3/16" Long x 3/32" Diam. Extended Bolt Probe

I drilled the end of the bolt with a 1/16" drill past the O-ring groove and fitted a piece of 1/16" piano wire.... then made a shim from 3/32" OD Brass Tubing.... a drop of Crazy Glue keeps it from falling off.... The 3/16" long extension loads all pellets past the Transfer Port hole in the barrel....

Lighter Trigger Spring with 7/32" Diam. Guide/Stop & Pretravel Spring

Made a Spring Guide from 7/32" OD x 3/16" ID Brass tubing (it just fits over the lower spring retainer) and cut it down until the Sear would just release (1.086" long on my gun, YMMV).... The new Sear Spring is a Dynaline # 24612 (available from Lordco or Macs Auto Supply) and is 9/32" OD x 0.028" wire x 1 3/8" Long.... it is 1/3rd the stiffness of the original.... I also fitted 1/2 a ball-pen spring in front of the trigger to take up the pretravel.... All contact surfaces polished, of course.... Wink

Keep the old Sear Spring.... it works good inside the valve.... Twisted Evil

Bob

Last edited by rsterne on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsterne
Master Gun Builder

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: 2289 Grouse Gun Reply with quote

I finished off this 2289 today.... installed a Crosman long steel breech kit.... and mounted a Fitco 2-7 x 32 AO.... also a Crosman trigger shoe.... I drilled the stock and installed it with the grip screws as I don't need to have it come apart easily and I didn't like the looseness in the stock as it wears more and more from pumping.... Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I thought you guys might like to see the modification I did to the stock on my 2289 for Scope use.... The front of the comb is raised by 3/4" and the rear by 1 1/8" so that the top is parallel to the barrel.... Wink

I cut the stock in two places, then fitted some extensions made from 3/8" OD Carbon Fibre tubing.... The lower part of the rear extension is at right angles to the barrel and is set half into a groove that runs the height of the butt.... The lower half of the front extension fits through a 3/8" hole down into the "wrist" of the stock.... The upper parts of both extensions fit into 3/8" holes drilled in the piece I cut off.... The pieces of tubing are simply glued in with JB Kwik Epoxy (which nearly matches the colour of the stock).... Very Happy

I ran into two small problems with the breech kit.... one of which they should tell you about.... The rear sight screw is too long (without the sight in place) and ran into the hammer spring.... I had to cut about 5/32" off it.... When I extended the bolt probe the same as the one I had in the plastic breech, there was barely enough room left to insert a pellet.... it was a REAL fiddle.... Although it measured the same, it seemed that the bolt wouldn't pull back as far in the cocked position.... and there was a lot of room left behind the bolt handle in the slot.... I machined off 0.080" from the back end of the bolt and now there is lots of room to insert the pellet.... This would be a good mod any time you make an extended bolt probe.... just don't cut off too much or the gun won't c**k.... Laughing

Anyway, this 2289 is finished.... I wanted it MAX non-PAL at 10 pumps with standard 14.3 gr. pellets, and that is what I got.... 4 lbs. all up and a heck of a portable Grouse Gun.... I'll be using JSB Express pellets, although Crosman Hollow-Points are almost as accurate and only 5% less energy at 25 yds.... If I do my part, I don't think the Grouse would notice.... Twisted Evil

Bob

Last edited by rsterne on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grandpa fixit

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: My 2289 Reply with quote

Well the barrel arrived yesterday from D&L and I couldn't wait, stayed up till 2:30. I did the standard valve mods (plugged bleed hole, cut a few threads, ground down the front of the valve seal and put in a poly port) tight groups at 50 yds and will knock the pit out of a plum with 20 pumps at that distance. Wait till that squirrel who lives in my attic shows his furry little head now.

Kinetic_Genius

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very powerfull 2289, does high 700's with 12 pumps and Crosman 14.3 gr pellets. I used a 1400 tube and pump assembly, 2200 handle for best leverage, Crosman steel breech, extended bolt probe, modded valve with 2200 exhaust valve half and 1400 valve other half.. Flat head pump piston, poly transfer port, metal barrel band and stronger custom hammer spring comming soon.
Canshooter

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: My EX 2289 Reply with quote

I did all the mods to this one: valve volume maxed, handmade pump, barrel crowned, stronger hammerspring with guide. 30 pumps got her up to 700fps with Crosman wads 14.3. Then the unthinkable...pumped it to 50 pumps and blew the valve apart. Its been dismantled and parts switched around since then.

Here is the adjustable pump I made.

Aaron_22xx

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first airgun wood project i ever did. my custom 2289, CR breech and barrel, "hot rodded" valve and pump arm, trigger tune, and hammer spring. before i messed around with the valve and ruined it, it was running mid 600s.
rsterne
Master Gun Builder

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: .22 Uber-Carbine - Ultimate Grouse Gun Reply with quote

Most of you will be familiar with my 24” barreled .177 and .22 calibre Uber-Pumpers… I decided to use the same technology to develop a 14” barreled version in .22 cal for a compact Grouse gun… The goal was to substantially reduce the number of pumps required to reload, while not compromising the easy handling of a 2289 when getting in and out of a car, as I find most of my Ruffies just before sunset when they are chowing down on roadside gravel to digest their afternoon meal… There was little point in enlarging the valve with the short barrel (wasted air = more noise), and the longer valve I used in the .22 Uber-Pumper would just waste pump stroke in the 2200 tube (which is just a fraction shorter than the barrel)… besides, 600 fps is more than enough... Rolling Eyes

Technically, the basis is a 2200 pump tube (receiver) and pump linkage, and the gun will be registered as a modified 2200 using the serial number on the tube (so I can brag about numbers with impunity, as I have a PAL)… Most of the other components are modified 2289 parts (barrel, valve, trigger group, hammer, spring & seat, and the stock)… with a few custom machined parts (made by myself) as required to complete the build… The gun is topped by a long Crosman steel breech mounting a Leapers 4x32 Master Sniper scope in their medium height rings… I focus the scope at 20 yards, and the image is clear from 10 to 30 yards without having to fiddle with adjustments… This, combined with a 25 yard zero, gives me a point blank hold from 9 to 28 yards for 1/4” above or below line of sight, which covers basically all of my shooting requirements… holding on the bottom of the eye gives a Grouse in the bag, providing he doesn’t duck just as I squeeze the trigger… Twisted Evil

The photo below shows the modifications to the bottom of the 2200 pump tube:
Drilled a 3/16” hole to mount the rear of the trigger group
Moved the front of the sear slot forward 3/16” to clear the sear
Drilled & tapped an 8-32 hole for a set-screw to retain the valve

In addition, it shows the mods to the 2289 trigger group:
Drilled and tapped a through hole to accept two 8-32 screws (one each side) to fasten the front of the trigger group to the breech band
Lighter sear spring (Dynaline #24612) with tubing guide and travel stop, and Crosman trigger shoe
All trigger friction points polished, including the hammer (short, under 2 lb. pull & smooth as silk)

In the top of the next photo, you can see the changes to the top of the 2200 pump tube:
Drilled new 9/32” transfer port just behind the original one
Drilled and tapped a 4-48 hole for the breech retaining screw

Next down is the custom piston assembly:
Flat-topped piston machined from 5/8” aluminum rod, with O-ring groove, drilled & tapped 1/4"-20
Piston rod from 1/4”-20 threaded rod, with double nuts both ends
Yoke machined from 5/8” delrin rod, slotted and drilled 3/16”, length adjusted so that the intake port “just” opens when it hits the pivot block, to prevent the linkage from crashing into the barrel band

Below that is the modified 2289 valve:
Front end shortened to “just” remove the original mounting hole, without exposing the check valve, with a new O-ring groove
Flat (1/16” deep by 3/8” long) machined to allow the valve to move back
Recess for the new 8-32 set-screw in the pump tube which retains the valve

Bottom left is the custom breech band, machined from 3/8” thick aluminum, which mounts the front of the trigger group

Bottom center is the new pump pivot bolt, machined from a 1/4” stainless steel bolt to 7/32” diameter, with shoulder and two 10-24 nuts

Bottom right is the custom barrel band / pivot block:
Barrel band machined from 3/8” aluminum, with three 6-32 set-screws, two into the pivot block, one for the barrel flat
Pivot block is machined from 5/8” aluminum rod, slotted and drilled 7/32, with the portion inside the barrel band knurled and pressed in place

When I started this project, I set a goal of 500 fps in 6 pumps, and 600 fps in 10 pumps… I was able to achieve that with the only internal valve modification being a lighter spring, plus a 0.162” transfer port… 511 fps in 6 pumps, 604 fps in 10 pumps, and a maximum velocity of 631 fps at 12 pumps… After bringing the valve to the same specs as in my 2289, the following numbers were achieved:

2 pumps: 310 fps
3 pumps: 381 fps
4 pumps: 439 fps
5 pumps: 481 fps
6 pumps: 518 fps
7 pumps: 550 fps
8 pumps: 577 fps
9 pumps: 600 fps
10 pumps: 620 fps
11 pumps: 638 fps with a “fart” of retained air
12 pumps: 650 fps with a 218 fps 2nd shot
13 pumps: 647 fps with a 390 fps 2nd shot
14 pumps: 626 fps with a 477 fps 2nd shot
15 pumps: 600 fps with a 549 fps 2nd shot
16 pumps: 563 fps with a 601 fps 2nd shot

All testing was done with JSB Express, 14.3gr. pellets… The barrel port was drilled to 0.166” (#19) and the transfer port was drilled to 0.162” (#20)… The valve exhaust ports were streamlined, and the valve stem slimmed… A stock 2289 hammer spring was used, and a “set” 2289 sear spring was installed in the valve… this combination allows the gun to be pumped without the need to be pre-cocked… Higher maximum velocity could be obtained by using a 2200 hammer spring (and an even lighter valve spring), allowing more pumps before retaining air, but the gun would then have to be pre-cocked before pumping… A 24” barrel would also increase velocities, but my criteria was a Grouse gun that was quicker to reload than my 2289, while being just as compact getting in and out of the car… Wink

When I was looking at the numbers, I found something interesting… With a bit of balancing on the springs, you could probably achieve two equal shots at 16 pumps, of the same velocity as the 8 pump shot (about 575 fps)… This would in theory give you several options while hunting: pump to 16 and have a follow-up shot available; pump to 16, take one shot and re-pump; or pump to 8 for each shot… I have no idea if the point of impact of the first and second shots would group together, as they have totally different pressure curves (the first shot has a short, high-pressure pulse, much quieter)… but I can see vAgRaNt just itching to try this… Laughing

This build took about a week and was a very satisfying experience… The initial accuracy tests show it to be at least as good as my 2289, and that gun accounted for 7 Ruffies this fall… I have no doubt that my Uber-Carbine will prove to be a great Grouse gun… and I think it looks trick enough to enter in this year's contest (if we have one)... Cool

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DFG Canadian Airguns Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: