Australian VW Caddy Forum IndexAustralian VW Caddy
VW Caddy Type KN Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Worn control arm bushes

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Australian VW Caddy Forum Index -> VW Caddy Van
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SkildCaddy
Very Special Contributor
Very Special Contributor


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 67
:


Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Worn control arm bushes Reply with quote

My Caddy with just 40k on the odo has been suffering from wear on the inside edges of the front tyres.

Advice from the tyre shop is that this is due to worn lower control arm bushes. Has anyone experienced this problem. If so how did you get it repaired. The VW dealer replaces the whole lower control arm, whereas the VW service centre (a certified repairer but not part of VW) replaces the bushings only. Which way is best?

I take my Caddy on the gravel now and then but I am surprised to be seeing problems like this so early in the car's life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DutchAussie
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 778
:
Location: Mount Barker, South Australia

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Worn control arm bushes Reply with quote

SkildCaddy wrote:
My Caddy with just 40k on the odo has been suffering from wear on the inside edges of the front tyres.

Advice from the tyre shop is that this is due to worn lower control arm bushes. Has anyone experienced this problem. If so how did you get it repaired. The VW dealer replaces the whole lower control arm, whereas the VW service centre (a certified repairer but not part of VW) replaces the bushings only. Which way is best?

I take my Caddy on the gravel now and then but I am surprised to be seeing problems like this so early in the car's life.


Thanks for the post.
I also have this problem with tyres wearing on the inside.
I will have a good look under the Caddy when I get the opportunity.
I first noticed this at the 45,000 kM service.
_________________
Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
Forum Administrator
2006 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

http://Renault-Trafic-Touring-Van.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SkildCaddy
Very Special Contributor
Very Special Contributor


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 67
:


Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually, with 67k on the clock, I took the vehicle to Pedders suspension. While Pedders here in Canberra had little experience with the Caddy they had seen a few Golf Vs with this problem. They replaced the 4 lower arm bushes with ones made of nolathane. Cost was about $550. Allegedly these will hold their shape longer so the tyres should not wear out as quickly.

With new bushes, new tyres and a wheel alignment (which was not far out) the driving is again like new.

The VW dealer was not surprised at the wear pattern but said it was more usual for vehicles with 100+k km on the clock. He mused that the premature wear may have been because of gravel road driving, something the Caddy is not really designed for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DutchAussie
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 778
:
Location: Mount Barker, South Australia

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkildCaddy wrote:
Eventually, with 67k on the clock, I took the vehicle to Pedders suspension. While Pedders here in Canberra had little experience with the Caddy they had seen a few Golf Vs with this problem. They replaced the 4 lower arm bushes with ones made of nolathane. Cost was about $550. Allegedly these will hold their shape longer so the tyres should not wear out as quickly.

With new bushes, new tyres and a wheel alignment (which was not far out) the driving is again like new.

The VW dealer was not surprised at the wear pattern but said it was more usual for vehicles with 100+k km on the clock. He mused that the premature wear may have been because of gravel road driving, something the Caddy is not really designed for.


Thanks.

Did they have the bushes in stock or where they made for your vehicle?
I have been thinking of replacing mine with nolathane but I am shocked by the cost.
_________________
Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
Forum Administrator
2006 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

http://Renault-Trafic-Touring-Van.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SkildCaddy
Very Special Contributor
Very Special Contributor


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 67
:


Items

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nolathane bushes are made for Pedders for the Golf V. In my situation they were ordered in from Sydney.

The Pedders bushes by themselves cost about $180. They can also be ordered online from various companies, eg whiteline, if you want to put them in yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DutchAussie
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 778
:
Location: Mount Barker, South Australia

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkildCaddy wrote:
The nolathane bushes are made for Pedders for the Golf V. In my situation they were ordered in from Sydney.

The Pedders bushes by themselves cost about $180. They can also be ordered online from various companies, eg whiteline, if you want to put them in yourself.


Thank you.
I will see how difficult it is to put them in.
_________________
Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
Forum Administrator
2006 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

http://Renault-Trafic-Touring-Van.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SkildCaddy
Very Special Contributor
Very Special Contributor


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 67
:


Items

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a VW blog page with some instructions on how to do it.

Follow this link
http://www.golfmkv.net/blog/archives/81
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SkildCaddy
Very Special Contributor
Very Special Contributor


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 67
:


Items

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you need to do both the front and rear bushes on each arm. The web page only shows the front one being replaced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DutchAussie
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 778
:
Location: Mount Barker, South Australia

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkildCaddy wrote:
There is a VW blog page with some instructions on how to do it.

Follow this link
http://www.golfmkv.net/blog/archives/81


Thanks again SkildCaddy.

I think I may leave that for a workshop to do if I can find one in SA.
_________________
Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
Forum Administrator
2006 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

http://Renault-Trafic-Touring-Van.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Australian VW Caddy Forum Index -> VW Caddy Van All times are GMT + 9.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Australian VW Caddy topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
FREE FORUM HOSTING by AtFreeForum. Terms of Service - Privacy Policy
FASHION ACCESSORIES - BLING BLING - LADIES WATCHES - KOREAN CHILDREN CLOTHING - ONLINE BARGAIN STORE - FASHION JEWELLERIES